On Friday, April 21, 2017 the Washington County Board of Supervisors created the Washington County Planning Agency. This new body is now responsible for the review of certain local planning and zoning actions pursuant to General Municipal Law Section §239 (GML §239-M). The result of these changes is that local Planning and Zoning referrals, as required under GML §239, previously handled by the Washington County Planning Board are handled by the Washington County Planning Agency.
There no longer will be monthly referral deadlines. The County Planning Agency will meet periodically when there are projects to review. Applicants are not permitted to submit referrals directly to the Agency; therefore referrals must be submitted by the referring body.
- Referral submission forms must be completed and accompanied by a “full statement of such proposed action” as required by §239-M.
- Local Planning and Zoning Boards will submit one (1) paper copy of all submitted materials as well as a digital copy of all materials.
Applicants are no longer requested to attend referral review meetings, though meetings are open to attend. If the Planning Agency has questions on a referral, they will first reach out to the referring municipality. The Planning Agency will only contact the applicant if absolutely necessary.
The following items are to be completed and are provided as a checklist to ensure the proper documents are complied by the referring body ensuring a “full statement of such proposed action”
- GML §239-M Referral Form
- Environmental Assessment Forms (EAF) and all other materials used by the referring body to make a determination of significance pursuant to the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA)
- Arial photograph(s) showing the context of the site location
- Maps & Plans: Provide three (3) copies of maps and plans that exceed letter or legal size.
- Copy of the full text of ordinance or local law being proposed (if applicable)
- Electronic copy of the full statement: An electronic copy my be submitted by CD or email
- Copy of the application submitted to the referring body
- *Provide details of any requirements of the municipalities codes or regulations that were waived
All materials for referral must be delivered by hand, email or by postal mail to the Washington County Planning Department office by 4 p.m. at least 11 days prior to the meeting date on which it wishes to be reviewed.
Physical and Mailing Address:
Washington County Planning
Fort Edward, NY 12828
Any questions regarding procedure for GML §239 referrals and the Washington County Planning Agency please contact the Washington County Planning Office at (518)746-2290