Washington County, NY


How do I obtain a building permit?

The 1st step is to fill out a Washington County permit application. Take the completed application to your local Town or Village Compliance Officer who will determine whether the project requires Zoning or Planning Board review. When the local Municipality is satisfied, the Compliance officer will sign a form that is included in the permit application packet. You may then submit to Washington County for a permit.

How do I know when a civil service exam is being offered?

You may find this information on the exam posting. This can be found on the homepage under Employment Opportunities and on the Civil Service/Personnel Department page.

Job Opportunities

Where can I get a copy of my birth certificate, marriage license or a death certificate?

You will need to contact the town clerk or city clerk where you were born, applied for your marriage license or where the person was pronounced.

I currently receive a Home Delivered Meal, can I still use Senior Dining program tickets?

Yes. The Senior Dining Program is open to all Washington County Adults age 60 years and older.

How does a Veteran obtain a copy of their Military Records?

By contacting the Veterans Office and setting up an appointment to fill out request form. Call 518-746-2470 to make an appointment today.

What is the difference between probation and parole?

Probation is a sentence or disposition imposed by a criminal court or family court. In general, probationers are released in the community without serving a period of local incarceration, although in certain circumstances they may be sentenced to both imprisonment (local) and probation; the sentence of incarceration shall be a condition of and run concurrently with a sentence of probation. Probation is a county function in New York State, although in New York City, the probation department is run by the City government. The Office of Probation and Correctional Alternatives (OPCA) provides regulatory oversight and funding to local probation departments. Parole is a portion of a correctional sentence served in the community following a term of incarceration in state prison. For offenders serving an "indeterminate" sentence, the NYS Board of Parole makes decisions whether an eligible state inmate is granted or denied parole. Offenders sentenced to a "determinate" prison term generally are released after serving 6/7 of their sentence. The period of supervised release following incarceration for such offenders is known as "Post-Release Supervision." Parole or Post-Release Supervision is intended to assist offenders in returning to society. These offenders are supervised in the community by parole officers, who are state officials employed by the NYS Division of Parole.

How can I safely remove a tick?

If you do find a tick attached to your skin, do not panic. Not all ticks are infected, and your risk of Lyme disease is greatly reduced if the tick is removed within the 1st 36 hours

To remove a tick:

  1. Use a pair of pointed tweezers to grasp the tick by the head or mouth parts right where they enter the skin. Do not grasp the tick by the body.
  2. Pull firmly and steadily outward. Do not jerk or twist the tick.
  3. Place the tick in a small container of rubbing alcohol to kill it.
  4. Clean the bite wound with rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.
  5. Monitor the site of the bite for the next 30 days, for the appearance of a rash. If you develop a rash or flu-like symptoms, contact your health care provider immediately.

What’s the difference between grand juries and trial juries?

The most important difference is that a grand jury decides whether or not there is enough evidence to charge an accused person with a crime. A trial jury decides whether or not the person who is charged with a crime has been proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

When are Civil Service exams?

Each exam announcement shows the exam date and the final file date for applications to be received by our office.

Employment Opportunities

Can I view Tax Maps Online?

Yes, tax maps are on the IMO. You can get to them through the Tax map link on the tool bar, or you can click view tax map under the map section of the Property Data window